Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Update from SA

Over here in South Africa. The trip has been rough so far, but we are all trying to make the best of it. My heat went horrible over here. The surf was a solid 8-12 feet and super fun in the morning, when the wind was offshore, but as soon as the wind turned it was hell out there. The heats were 30 minutes long, you could paddle out right as the heat before started, and still not one person in my heat made it out before the 10 minute mark. We were all pretty much dead and one guy didn't even make it out. I eventually got out caught one wave, (a big closeout) and broke my leash. It was by far the worst heat of my life. I think the person who won my heat had a 3 point heat score. It was pathetic. Right after out heat they tried to initiate a jet ski assist to help surfers get out, but it was useless. They called the event off for the day in the middle of the next heat. Really bummed on that, but not going to let it ruin my trip, especially because I don't think there was one other thing I could have done. Check back and I will update you on what else is going on over here.