Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shark Session


This past weekend the remainder of swell from Hurricane Earl cleaned up and offered a couple days of killer surf close to home. The only problem was that the big surf pushed in a huge number of baitfish enticing a lot more shark activity than normal. I have lived here my whole life, and I know how sharky the surf gets this time of year, but this was just ridiculous. Throughout my few sessions I witnessed easily over a hundred sharks destroying bait pods in and out of the lineup. There were bull sharks, lemons, black tips, etc... eating everything from mullett to large tarpon. During my short afternoon session at the inlet, there were 3 bites, and probably a dozen close calls. Check out this photo I found on one of the surf sites, if you look in the foreground of the shot you can see a tarpons tail kicking out in the middle of a pod of bait.