Thursday, September 9, 2010

Surfer/Racer, and not the other way around!!

Alpinestars at Surfercross from Alpinestars USA on Vimeo.


Thats right, most of you don't know, but I am a "Slashie" dabbling in many other sports besides surfing. So when fellow Alpinestars team rider Jeff Weatherall mentioned competing in this years Surfercross, I had to get in. Little did I know it was a pretty serious event held at a track that was not groomed for amateurs. Before the week of the event I had only ever ridden a dirtbike one other time in my life, but that was with X-games gold medalist Ashley Fiolek, so I figured I would be alright. Jeff and I decided to put a few days in at the track before hand, so I could get use to the bike and see if I would actually be able to go through with it. Come raceday we realize we have been training on a different track that was much more mellow. When we pulled up to Star West raceway, we BOTH (Jeff probably won't admit it/tough guy syndrome) were a little nervous. ha This video from Alpinestars Frontline blog tells the rest of the story, but I just wanted to give a shout out to my Pro Racer/partner during the event Michael Sleeter. He murdered it on the track! We held strong in the first moto finishing in the middle of the pack, but it all went down hill when Jeff crashed Ronnie Renner's 250F that we were sharing throughout the event, and I had to hop on Sleeter's 450.haha, Don't worry man, I will be back next year with a couple more laps under my belt this time.