Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thought I was off to Brazil....

SCREW DELTA!!!
As a professional surfer, I have learned to prepare myself to be taken advantage of by the airlines for carrying my surfboard bag, but what happened two days ago at the Daytona Beach airport even shocked me. I am waiting in a 4 person line (Daytona is a small airport) at the check in counter for my flight to Brazil. When I reach the desk I hand over my passport, and prepare my credit card for a beating, when this women tells me she will not be able to check my surfboards in. I kind of laughed for a second, and then asked what this was about, "I have flown this route several times in the past". About this time Eric Geiselman, (who I was traveling with) comes up with 2 board bags. I explain to him and his mom what was going on, and she went into snap mode, trying to get us on the flight. Eventually the supervisor of the airport comes over and lets us know that there is no way they can transport surfboard bags anymore on ASA flights (smaller aircraft), due to the risk of incurring fees from damages made to the surfboards. I snapped and told him I have to be on this flight, just put my boards on the plane....He explained there are no exceptions and offered to book us another flight the following day. When I agreed, we went over to the computer and realized that there were no other flights headed to this area of Brazil out of MCO, JAX, DAB, for 3 days. I felt like exploding in that airport, but decided to just get out of there before I did something I would regret. Looks like we will not be starting our WQS year off in Brazil!! Hopefully I get refunded for my crazy expensive ticket...

....Thought the letter I received from the Delta supervisor was pretty funny. Instead of putting the real reason why I was not on the flight, he just documented it as weather delays, and no other flights being open....